Thursday, August 6, 2009

Profesora Stephanie

As I fret about Visas and packing and what adaptor I need to buy for my laptop, it's easy to forget that once I get there I HAVE TO WORK. Wait, what? I thought this was a vacation!

There's always a catch. For 16 hours a week, I will be teaching English at this fine institution.



When I applied, I thought, how hard can it be? I speak English and Spanish. I just have to stand in front of a classroom and say things like "Repeat after me class, 'The monkey is in the tree.'"

But I've never taught in my life. I've never been a tutor. And I hate public speaking. This explains why I lay awake at night dreading the first day of school when, instead of being the bored, glassy-eyed student doodling in the margins, I will be the source of the boredom.

The good thing is that I will be teaching elementary school students who, I hope, are not old enough to have a 'tude.

I'm also hoping my students are impressed with the fact that I'm from LA, which means that I hang out with movie stars and that I'm awesome, obviously.

So if my capabilities are ever questioned I shall say, "Say kids, did I tell you about the time I broke bread with Shrek and went shopping with Hannah Montana? No?"

Teaching will be a piece of cake.

UPDATE: I found a video of my school. As it turns out, it's one of the best public schools in Madrid and the kids are so cute in their uniforms I COULD JUST DIE. Also, I think the women in the video will be my superiors... I think I should start working on a lesson plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Analytics