Wednesday, July 29, 2009

There are terrorists in Spain, you know

Before I was placed in Madrid, there was a very good chance I'd be packing my bags for Pais Vasco, or Basque Country. The possibility was an excuse for research. I was happy to hear it was a melting pot of cultures--like LA--and that the food was excellent. Also, the Guggenheim Museum is in Bilbao. Does it look familiar?

But then, I came across another aspect of Basque Country... the ETA, which stands for Euskadi Ta Askatasuna (Basque Homeland and Freedom). The ETA is a terrorist organization founded in 1959 that is operated by the Spanish and the French. In 2006, they bombed the Barajas Airport.

While their activity has lessened over the years, they're still very much active.

Yesterday's car bomb in Borgas is a reminder of that. So is this morning's explosion in Mallorca.

I'm not too worried. After all, I'll be in Madrid, far from most of the crazy. And if you think about it, there are terrorists everywhere. I could be living down the street from a White Supremacist group for all I know.

But let's not think about that.

(photo via BBC Mundo)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Analytics